The baby boomer audience is extensive, and learning how to connect with this unique market can take your advertising strategy to a whole new level. By identifying 10 important baby boomers characteristics and statistics, you can fully customize your efforts for a personalized and engaging customer experience. These specific characteristics and statistics will help you use the numbers to your advantage and achieve success in your promotional efforts.
The baby boomer population is described as the group of people born between the years 1946 and 1964. To achieve a successful senior marketing campaign, you must understand the characteristics of your target demographic and find ways of incorporating specific elements into your advertising. Creating a campaign that appeals to your baby boomer audience is key to convincing them to take an action, such as making a purchase or signing up for a subscription. When you get your marketing right, you may receive incredible rewards, but if you get it wrong, your business may only see lost opportunity. The information offered below will help you to understand the audience you are targeting so that you can create engaging campaigns for the baby boomer market.
Baby Boomer Statistics
- The average age of the baby boomer in the US is 50 to 69 years.
- Surprisingly, men and women of the baby boomer generation make up 75 million of the United States population.
- Representing a significant portion of the population, baby boomer statistics have revealed that only 10% of business promotional efforts are geared towards seniors.
- The enormity of this market cannot be underestimated. Recent statistics have shown that baby boomer markets are expected to grow over 20% over the next decade or so and should be considered for entrepreneurial advancement.
- Over 80% of baby boomers belong to a single social media site
- Baby boomer statistics have shown that seniors spend at least 10-15 hours of their time online.
- For adults over the age of 50 years, expenditure averaging billions is expected annually online.
- A failure to capitalize on these markets is lost revenue and a lost opportunity for new business expansion and brand awareness.
- Mature markets over the age of 50 have shown greater luxury expenditure in travels and general purchases.
- 40-50% of baby boomers use their smartphones to make purchases.
Baby Boomers Characteristics
- Baby boomers characteristics include a vested interest in a professional outlook and a strong sense of self in their employment status.
- With a significant portion of their lives spent at work, most seniors are influenced by rational decision making.
- Tailored marketing efforts should include factual relevance, providing your target markets with the information they need to convince them of a good, quality purchase.
- Many seniors were raised in a very structured and well-disciplined household. They are not convinced by gimmicks, over the top promises and unnecessary flashy images to invest in your product, service or brand.
- Baby boomer characteristics include independence, responsibility and maturity. They are equipped to make up their own minds and determine what is most valuable or significant.
- Baby boomers make smart decisions based on available resources.
- Older target markets are best motivated by natural competition and work hard to achieve every success, including professional opportunities in the workplace.
- Baby boomers are confident. They have responsibilities and abide by societal rules.
- Mature audiences respond to respect for their authority. They enjoy being listened to and will be willing to share their opinions and interests.
- The baby boomer does not part with their money easily.